How can you setup a product catalog for best search results, taking into account issues of duplicate content, meta content, meta title, keyword search terms in product description, attribute weight, and so on? When setting up a product catalog focus on a search engine friendly URL slug populate a proper Page title, meta description with 155 characters Attribute weight in SOLR search, To improve the relevancy score of search results based on product attributes, assign a larger weight to those attributes. Duplicate content, if you simply copy and paste product descriptions you will rank poorly for onpage content and be flagged for duplicate content in your search rankings. Duplicate content – ensure that each product will have a unique description and there is only a single path to the same product Meta content – ensure that this is populated and crawlable Meta title – again, make sure that this is populated Keyword search terms – make sure that this information is populated and relevant Attribute weight – when SOLR is used, make sure that the weights are accurately assigned and that the most relevant fields across the catalog have the greatest weight
- A canonical link element is an HTML element that helps webmasters prevent duplicate content issues by specifying the “canonical”, or “preferred”, version of a web page as part of search engine optimization.
- Example: <link rel=”canonical” href=”http://email.biz/” />
- While the canonical link element has its benefits, Matt Cutts, who is the head of Google’s webspam team, has claimed that the search engine prefers the use of 301 redirects. Cutts claims the preference for redirects is because Google’s spiders can choose to ignore a canonical link element if they feel it is more beneficial to do so
- Used for SEO that will describe the ‘proper’ link that should be used
- For example ‘Show All’ on a category listing page as opposed to the individual pages
There are a few canonical extensions out there in the Magento eco-system but I have used the FME Canonical URLs extension with some success.